Mauritshuis


Mauritshuis
The Hague, The Netherlands.

The Royal Cabinet of Paintings, the Mauritshuis in The Hague is a national museum housing mainly 17th century paintings (from the Golden Age).

The Mauritshuis is situated at the Korte Vijverberg next to the Prime Minister’s Tower (Torentje). Behind the Mauritshuis lies the royal pond (Hofvijver). The little palace was built in 1640 by Jacob van Campen and Pieter Post in classicistic style but strongly influenced by Italian architecture. In 1704 the Mauritshuis was heavily damaged by a fire and rebuilt in 1720.

On the ground floor you can still find the Golden Room which is used for parties and monthly lectures on Tuesdays at 12.15 pm. The Mauritshuis opened its doors as a museum in 1822. Its atmosphere is intimate. The many rooms with their special interiors have beautiful paintings on display. It's a real joy.


Repromasters developed the life-size replica of the "Maid with the Pearl earring" ( ca. 1664) by Johannes Vermeer (ca. 1632 - 1675) for the Museum shop. It is now for sale.

Most pictures found on this page are © 2007 Copyright Mauritshuis